Thursday, August 12, 2010

LEE RETINOUR & DAVE GRUSIN @ YOSHI'S

I also forgot about Lee Retinour & Dave Grusin Show at Yoshi's Oakland last 25th for the same reason, our school's Grand Alumna Reunion. Of course, I was not gonna miss that show for anything in the world, particularly because of my idol, Dave Grusin. I adore him! He's the musician of all musicians. In one of my posts last Xmas, I said that it was my dream to, one day, play with him on a world stage. I dream big, why not!

Well, last July 25, I had the chance to meet him personally after the show and I told him my dream. He probably thought I was crazy but I don't care. I went that far as to be able to meet him in person and had the guts to tell him my desire. That's a step closer to my dream!

You know, the one thing I learned from Dave Grusin in that show is not about music. He's great live as he is on his albums. Rather, I learned the virtue of humility from him. Here was an icon, a legend, a phenomenon, who I thought was gonna have a show side by side with Lee and there he was, just a sideman to Lee. Yes, they both had equal billing, precisely why I thought this was their show together. But it wasn't. It was Lee Retinour's show and Dave Grusin was just one of the "members" of the band. Lee did all the talking and Dave didn't even say a word. Clearly, it wasn't his show. And I thought, how could anybody, Lee, for that matter, allow Dave Grusin to be just a sideman??

But you know, musicians of their calibre, the best of the bests, they just play together, either as headliners or as THE band, or sidemen, it doesn't matter. There's NO ego! They're so great they're past it! They just play music and have fun, that's it! That's what music is all about!

Aah, beautiful reminder!

No comments:

Post a Comment