Thursday, July 8, 2010

New Orleans Jazz at the Mission

Just got back from a New Orleans Jazz Concert at a new Performance Center at the Mission with the PRESERVATION HALL NEW ORLEANS BAND. Fabulous show! Great musicians! New Orleans jazz has gotta be the happiest music in town, in the entire world, I should say! It was exhilirating! The whole audience was ecstatic! Everybody got up to its feet and danced around the whole theatre! A young guy started it with her girlfriend or lady friend and I jumped up and joined! Then we got everybody to stand up and join the line and dance all over! You can't stay glued on your seats! The music was just too, what, I can't even describe it, you simply can't ignore it! Well, Norman had to stay in place cause he had to watch my purse and coat while I went wild! He stood up, though, and he was dancing!

Wow! And to think that I almost missed the show!

There was a show at the store I wanted to see - the Jazz Camp Open Mic, a wrap-up to the just concluded week-long camp! I've never been to one and all musician/friends have been telling me to attend a jazz camp, even once, so I wanted to go see what's happening in tonight's event, have an idea of what they do in a music camp, thinking I might get inspired, (which, of course, I always do), and go to next year's jazz camp. Norman and I were splitting the 2 shows tonight, he was going to the New Orleans Jazz show. But because of the anticipated riot, protests, after the Meserhle conviction this afternoon, the event was cancelled. So I ended up at the New Orleans'. Boy, now I'd like to go to New Orleans!

Lately, we have been totally immersed in a lot of live music - gigs, his, mine, ours, shows, concerts, all kinds! That goes without saying, being musicians, but these past few weeks have been unusually plenty. I ain't complaining.

I'm exhausted now from all the dancing, no, not exhausted, exhilirated!

It's late. Nite-nite...

No comments:

Post a Comment