Monday, September 28, 2009

Inspiring... and Inspired!

"You know, in your next job, if they don't like you, they'll love you. It's one or the other, nothing less." - what a sweet compliment from a colleague at work! After having been away from healthcare field for so many years, and to hear such words - WOW!!

I've learned in life to never be short on praises for others. Give credit where credit is due. And, most important, be sincere. Say what you feel and feel what you say. It doesn't matter how others take it (or mistake it!). Don't hold back 'cause it may come at a time when someone needs it most and/or, in return, it may come at a time when you need it most.

I remember playing the piano at Nordstrom one day when the music director of the Southwest Division came to meet with the store manager. Thinking it was Monday, he was surprised to see me playing, but that was Tuesday. This was when the economy was going down the first time about the early 2000s, and Nordstrom was cutting down the piano schedule to just the weekends. When some of the employees saw him by the piano, they approached him and asked him to keep me there 'cause, they said, everybody liked me.

You know, except for the flagship store that kept the piano playing everyday, I was the only pianist left to play on a weekday among all Nordstrom stores so rumors had it that I was kept because I was a "great pianist!" Shhh, I wasn't gonna say anything, but can you believe that? All other stores stopped the piano playing on weekdays. Quite a few pianists lost their Nordstrom gig.

My colleagues' feedback came at a time when I needed it the most and what perfect timing, too! I was playing the piano right there when he came - on the wrong day!! If my colleagues didn't see us together, they might not have approached him as not everyone knew him. That wasn't his main store, he was just visiting.

 Now is that luck or what?!

No comments:

Post a Comment