Friday, April 15, 2011

A Tourist In My Own Country

Every year since 2000, I go home to visit friends and family, especially my mother. I always time my trip around her birthday in March. I go home to be with her 24/7. This time, on her 95th birthday, a milestone, Norman and I decided to go together. We stayed at my aunt's beautiful condo in Eastwood City, a world-class city in itself, for a week. I tell you, going places was a treat, I felt like a tourist in my own country!

First, the condo was so close to the shopping mall, restaurants, theatres and and more, Norman and I were simply entertained. Norman especially enjoyed going back and forth to the cafes and restaurants, and, man, I tell you, Manila's got some Good Eats! San Francisco and New York cannot brag of their best foods in town anymore. Manila can compete with them and the rest of the world for its stunningly superb cuisine - Filipino, Asian, international, and all fusion! Great dining everywhere we went! Quite impressive, I tell you that!

The condo was also right in front of a chapel that took care of my religious obligations, especially this Lenten season. Mindful of our Catholic tradition, land developers, architects, et al, have included in their blue prints to build chapels inside or around shopping malls. And that is nice! Knowing how Filipinos or Pinoys love to eat and shop, yet still not forgetting their Sunday obligations, having chapels inside or close to shopping malls are convenient. However, I must confess that although, yes, there is nothing above and beyond God, when you're at Shangrila chapel at the atrium on Sundays, for example, it's very difficult to focus on the altar alone. With so many floors of shops, restaurants and people all over, yes, there's definitely everything and anything above and beyond the altar... Oh, well.

We went to Makati Greenbelt, the Ayala Museum where we performed as guest artists for the JAM FOR JAPAN CONCERT, drove by Bonifacio Street High at the Fort, all part of the Ayalaland, and what awesome architecture! And simply world-class shopping and dining! Filipinos have such appetite for food and life the city doesn't sleep anymore. Norman says, " It's like NY!" And with all the high-rise buildings, commercial, residential, especially condominiums, which seem to be the style of living for city dwellers nowadays, I don't see poverty anymore! Of course, there is, and a classic distinction between the rich and the poor, at that, but it seems to be hidden by all the newly-built skyscrapers and infrastructure everywhere! Unbelievable!

I got a chance to revisit Tagaytay Highlands. This was Norman's first visit. Nestled in a beautiful high-level countryside overlooking the world's smallest volcano, Taal Volcano, this resort and country club brings leisure and luxury to the next level. Philippines now abound in so many beautifully-developed resorts for balikbayans and foreigners from all over the world, tourism has become a popular global leisure activity here in the country.

My CHS high school classmates treated me to a superbly delicious lunch at Kanin Club at the Ayala Triangle Gardens in Makati. It was a row of different restaurants and every bit was full to capacity and then some outside. Don't Filipinos cook at home anymore??

And as an alumna of the University of Sto. Tomas, I am glad I had a chance to revisit my alma mater on its 400th year celebration! I went to see our church, the museum and bought some souvenirs from the kiosks.

And of course, music is ALIVE in Manila! I got to jam at Scarlet Jazz Kitchen with one of the city's famous big bands on Timog in Quezon City. Timog Street is happening ("gimmicking"as they say)!
"Filipinos are EXPLODING with talents!!" as Cameron Macintosh once said when he was in Manila many years ago to audition talents for the musical Miss Saigon. There's Lea Salonga, Miss Saigon herself, Charice, Arnel Pineda, Cheryl Burke, and so many you see everywhere, on American Idol, You Think You can Dance, and so on! You will always see a Filipino in arts and entertainment!

Philippines is a beautiful country and the Filipinos are a beautiful people! I'm very proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment