Thursday, April 14, 2011

Back Home Again... Where??

This is my first day out of the house since I came back the other night from Manila and I'm still disoriented as to where I am. I was at the Embarcadero Center and saw several Caucasians and I thought to myself, "There are so many tourists here." - For a quick second, I thought I was at Greenbelt Makati!

Good morning... or is it, Good evening??

I knew I wasn't in Manila anymore when, as soon as I got out of the house, I realized I forgot my hat, gloves, and scarf!

Walking by Oakland Uptown, I saw a woman with an amputated leg in a wheelchair "walking" her dog on a leash and the dog also had an amputated leg. Very touching! After passing them, I had to look back and watch them. There was so much love between the two. I've got to be back in America.
In my recent visit to the Philippines, I've never seen more dogs with owners or dogsitters taking care of them. And these are pure-bred dogs! I used to see just mutts, stray dogs in the streets they call askal, (short for asong kalye - "street dogs") abandoned, scavenging for food. Now it seems to be a status symbol to own expensive dogs. The more expensive, the richer you are. They're called sosyal (Tagalog abbreviation for "socialite").

In Manila, Norman & I were guest artists at the JAM FOR JAPAN where I saw
Richie Quirino, a musician friend and Berklee colleague and founder of the
Philippine International Jazz Festival. This was just a few days ago.
I saw him again tonight at the JAM FOR JAPAN, SF. No one told me he was
coming. It was Carlos Zialcita, founder of San Francisco Pinoy Jazz Festival's
surprise for me. For awhile, I wasn't sure again where I was.

After the show, Norman & I, both hungry, decided to go to STARBUCK'S
at midnight. Where is everybody?? Manila's ALIVE at midnight!
It's a "gimmicking" town, as they call it! There are restaurants open 24/7!
Obviously, I'm back in San Francisco!

Don't get me wrong. Manila is lively and Fun with a capital F! I love it!
San Francisco is quiet and cozy, but at at the end of the day, intimacy is what my
heart and soul long for.

Good night...or is it, Good morning??

No comments:

Post a Comment