Saturday, May 22, 2010

MY DAD

Today's my Dad's 10th anniversary of his death. I miss him.

Ten years ago, I wrote a piece of music entitled, Without Papa (on Father's Day). It was this song that inspired me to make my debut album, SOCORRO. I had been putting the cd project on and off for so many years until my father died. His death, the first in the family, was utterly devastating. I never knew what GOODBYE was until my father died.

The first special occasion following a death in the family is one of the most painful moments in life. My dad died in May and three weeks later was Father's Day. Next month, July, was his birthday, my birthday, and my brother, Jesse's. On my brother's birthday, about 430am here, I dreamt, it wasn't a dream, it was real, we were talking and I asked him how he felt about papa being gone, especially as both of them were very close. He didn't say anything. Instead, I heard music in my head and these words, "What sorrow is". This was my brother's answer to me. That's how my other composition was created, What Sorrow Is. The following year, my brother died.

GRIEF is deep, silent, it's beyond words...

Fortunately, I express myself best through music and that's how Without Papa (on Father's Day) and What Sorrow is came about that culminated with my debut cd. I decided to put all my energies, transpose all my grief, the pain, and everything, into music. It was 2 years in the making. In the end, it was a triumph of the human spirit!

Yes, grief is deep, silent, unfathomable, yet, as devastating as it is, it is sacred. It is so sacred, it's beautiful, humanly beautiful. There is no way past it but to go through it.

(I wanna share my music with you. I'm still learning to put music in my blog. Until then, you can go to my webpage, www.socorrodecastro.com. You can here a sample of the music there or on www.myspace.com/socorrodecastro. You can download it on iTune or get a ringtone. Or buy the album, SOCORRO, from cdbaby.com or amazon.com. You'll enjoy it. I'm very proud of it. Thanks.)

No comments:

Post a Comment