Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Creative Panhandlers

Some beggars have such a great sense of humor you just can't ignore them. We've seen those cards that say, "WHY LIE? JUST WANT A BEER."

Then there are those who'll open the door for you like at the Post Office or direct you to a parking space and hope you'll give them some change. On one hand it may seem abrasive. On the other hand, hey, they're finding ways to "work" instead of just sitting down on the streets and beg! I commend them for that. Plus they smile whether you give them or not anyway. They're just hoping we'll give them some. So we can't be rough on them.

One of the funniest things that happened to me was when I was walking downtown many years ago with a bag of Mrs. Fields cookies. Yes, that was a long time ago, well, not so long ago, when I'd get myself a bag of Mrs. Fields almost everyday, and not share them with anyone. I'm done with that now.
Anyway, a blind woman, or seemingly blind, as she was wearing big sunglasses like what blind people wear, was walking with her cane. It was not the typical white cane for the blind. She was coming towards me. When she was right in front of me, she asked, "Change for the blind?"
I ignored her. I walked past her, making sure I didn't hit her. But before I could totally go past her, she says, "What about 'em cookies??"

Well... when I was living in Southern California, in a great neighborhood, there was this Oriental lady, in her 30s, 40s, and, mind you, quite attractive. She must be Korean cause Korean women are some of the most beautiful, most fashionable women in the world! She was dressed to a T and She. Was. Begging??? She was not sitting down on the streets, she was going to each car when the stop lights went red!! And she only asked for one thing, "Could you spare me a dollar.25 for coffee?" - that's all, nothing else! I couldn't believe it! Yes, she was well dressed, I guess, she figured she was in a fancy neighborhood, she'd better look good and boy, did she, ever!...WHOA!!

There are some creative beggars, I tell you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment