Friday, February 26, 2010

A Personal Letter to Joannie Rochette

Dear Joannie,
You have captured the world with your exquisite performance last night at the finals of the Winter Olympics following your mother's death only 4 days ago! I didn't want to watch you for fear that if you fell, etc., it would be another heartbreak for you and I didn't want to see that. I just prayed very hard that your performance would be perfect, that in the end, you would just be happy and proud, knowing you gave it all you've got, and especially doing it for your beloved mother. I purposedly didn't watch your short program after reading the news about your mom's. I just couldn't take it. I only watched it after I heard on TV that you were on third place so far, so I knew you did well and what an heroic performance! Last night, up to the last minute, I wasn't sure if I could watch you or not, but when I saw your face, I thought, "I can't miss this."

You got the whole audience on their feet, including me in my living room, for your performance of your lifetime and your receiving the bronze for yourself, your country and for your mother.

You stole our hearts! You're an inspiration to the world.

And such poise! I saw how you held back your tears while the National Anthem of South Korea for Kim Yu-Na was being played, not wanting to attract attention, but rather, giving the space and moment to Kim. Your mom is so proud of you. Let's not forget your dad who was proudly standing in the audience cheering for you.

Your performance was superb! Your winning the medal is great, I bet, most fulfilling for you, your family and your country! But your courage and determination amidst your family tragedy is priceless! It is your greatest accomplishment in life, your legacy to the whole world!!

Thank you.

With great love and admiration and respect,

Socorro

No comments:

Post a Comment