Thursday, September 29, 2011

Shark Fin Soup

On the same bus today, there was an advertisement on shark fins. You know the famous Chinese Shark Fin soup? I've seen a similar ad about it before and I'm glad I saw it again today.

There's an organization, http://www.wildaid.org/sharks, that works on global shark conservation.

I remember when I was a kid growing up in Manila, the family was always invited to big Chinese weddings, banquets, known as lauriats. Corn soup was the most popular then - until shark fin soup was "discovered"! It was deliciously expensive, so expensive that only privileged Asian families could afford them! And that to be invited made you members of The Elite! And I was so proud to be part of it...


Looking back now, grown-up, more health conscious, vegetarian... how cruel were those who cut off sharks just for their fins! And they still do it today. Shame!! Me included! All I could think of then was that I must be rich to be able to rub shoulders with the so-called, Manila Socialites! Birds of the same feather flock together, right! Riight.

Mia culpa, mia culpa, mia maxima culpa... Lord, have mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment