Thursday, November 25, 2010

On Thanksgiving

For the first time yesterday, I heard X'mas songs playing continuously at KOIT. I've been hearing Xmas songs every now and then on radio and tv, but yesterday was just a little bit much! On the eve of Thanksgiving Day, at that?!

Here in America, X'mas season is overriding Thanksgiving! How sad! Thanksgiving is such an American culture and it's getting less and less attention especially here in the West Coast, I would suspect. With the conglomeration of many Asian people and cultures here, it is not surprising that the Christmas holiday is given more importance than Thanksgiving! First, we don't celebrate Thanksgiving Day in the Philippines (I can only speak for my country). We are big on Christmas! The holiday season there starts on the month that ends with '-ber'! So that means, September!! Yes, you'll start hearing X'mas songs and seeing decorations as early as that month there. And we've brought that culture along here in America!

However, I feel that we should honor Thanksgiving, the American tradition, here in this country! But, I guess, we can't help it. With holiday shopping, retail businesses want to start early.

I know one company which respects this American culture, though - NORDSTROM! I am very proud of this store. Nordstrom does not display any Christmas decorations until after Thanksgiving Day. That's great! That says a lot about the company!

Otherwise, what can we do?? If I remember right, we all used to celebrate Thanksgiving first, then Christmas. But in early 2000, when the economy really went down, retail businesses had to do something to survive, so they had to attract people to shop as early as they could, and that means,way before Thanksgiving. Really sad!

I wonder, is it also like that in midwest, where there are less Asians? I admit the migration of Asians to this country, Filipinos, for one, has influenced this tremendous change. Gosh, can't we all just pause and celebrate one day, one holiday, one season, at a time? Life's too short to rush, rush, rush and miss out on life itself.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYONE!! 
HAVE A GOOD ONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment