Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I Remember Something...

In one of my visits to MNL recently, my mother told me that when I was a little girl, I thought all girls were medical doctors, because she is, and all boys were lawyers because my dad was! So all of us, little girls and little boys, would, one day, become doctors and lawyers... when we grew up!

Does that make sense now why I didn't just want, but KNEW, that I was gonna be a doctor?

Actually, I forgot all about that, (wow, how we, little children, think, huh!) until, one day, my mom said, in retrospect, that she had a friend who came to the house, a doctor, and he was a boy! (When I was little, to me, everybody was a girl and a boy. There was no such thing as a young lady and a gentleman, or a woman and a man. You maybe big or small, but you're still a boy or a girl. I didn't know what young or old was then.)

Yes, that story, the whole scenario, came back to mind! I remember being shocked to the bone!! I could not understand why a boy could be a doctor! I remember going up to my room with a terrible headache, totally confused why it was so. When the doctor left, I remember asking my mom how he could be such - a doctor!? That's when my mom found out about my thinking.

It's funny, when my mother was telling me all about this, the same sensation I felt when I was a kid, the headache, confusion, they all came back to me! That was definitely a powerful, deep impression on me as a little girl, it shaped my whole life! WOW!!

No comments:

Post a Comment